Construction & Development
Construction and development is a multi-faceted field requiring expertise in many areas of law during the planning, development, and completion phases of a project. When it comes to the development of your commercial construction project, there is nothing more important than having the right team by your side with the crucial support you need to bring your project to life and position it for prosperity into the future.
At Jaffe, we provide our commercial construction clients—developers, owners, contractors, and investors—with the counsel they need at every stage of the development and construction process. From site selection and property acquisition through to entitlements, financing, design, construction, completion, and final disposition, our Construction attorneys work closely with our Real Estate and Environmental teams to provide our clients with the essential expertise and solutions they need to succeed.
Our attorneys are experienced in every aspect of construction litigation and dispute resolution in order to provide personalized service and creative, strategic solutions for every commercial construction law problem. We regularly assist in drafting and negotiating owner, architect, contractor, and subcontractor agreements, complex construction financing arrangements, and dispute resolution. Additionally, we work with claims involving defective design and work, delay claims, claims avoidance, warranty issues, and insurance issues. Our goal is to be your trusted advisor every step of the way, positioning you for success both today and into the future.
Jaffe’s national construction litigation practice includes both large commercial and residential projects of publicly-traded builders. We are experienced in successfully litigating construction disputes in many states and are best known in Michigan for our successful work on construction disputes and major local projects.
- Drafting/negotiating construction contracts, including:
- Architecture and Engineering Contracts
- Owner/Contractor Agreements
- Construction Management Agreements
- Development Management Agreements
- Construction and permanent financing
- All aspects of construction lien law
- Claims and dispute resolution, including traditional litigation and ADR
- Represented developer in development of $91 million mixed use project in the City of Detroit.
- Represented owner in construction planning for $30 million condominium project in the City of Royal Oak
- Represented owner in construction planning for $23 million public recreation project in the City of Detroit.
- Represented developer in negotiating development management agreement for combined sports headquarters and athletic medicine facility in the City of Detroit.
- Represented owner in negotiating a $6 million architectural services contract.
- Represented owner in negotiating a $7 million design-build agreement for a 130,000 square foot research center in Cincinnati, Ohio
- Represented owner in negotiating a design-build agreement for a 1,000,000 square foot distribution center in DuPont, Washington
- Represented owner in negotiation construction contract for $36 million industrial facility in Evergreen Park, Illinois.