Mark Cooper, Jaffe Partner, talks about insurance considerations during COVID-19.
Managing risk and protecting your business are key elements of our insurance law practice. Our team has decades of sophisticated, nationwide experience in the vital task of helping businesses best manage their risk, both in handling liability defense strategies and resolving insurance coverage matters.
At Jaffe, our emphasis is on aggressive liability defense in aid of our clients’ risk management programs and, as a part of that, we regularly work with our clients’ insurers to defend claims. We represent our clients’ interests nationwide against claims of all kinds, including personal injury, premises liability, commercial general liability, professional liability, construction-related claims, directors’ and officers’ liability, and property damage.
Our work often starts before claims are brought or lawsuits are filed and it extends beyond individual matters to general claims consulting, coverage analysis, and providing advice and guidance on acquiring and maintaining the proper insurance program. When coverage disputes arise, we have vast experience to offer – both policyholders and insurers — with comprehensive advice regarding commercial and personal lines of insurance. And, we will uphold your interests by litigating declaratory actions to resolve those disputes, when necessary.
Jaffe attorneys are seasoned and respected litigators with an enviable track record of success in jury trials, bench trials, binding arbitration cases, and mediated insurance disputes all over the country. Large national businesses trust us to manage their risks efficiently, thoroughly, and cost-effectively. We make a point of understanding the nature and scope of your business in order to best advise you on your current insurance needs and to help foresee problems that could arise in the future.
- Design and advise on risk management programs, large and small
- Negotiate and litigate claim coverage disputes
- Litigate complex liability claims
- Construction-related claims of all kinds
- Indemnification claims
- Coverage claims in bankruptcy
- Bad faith claims
- Federal multi-district claims
News & Representative Matters
March 27, 2020
Businesses are looking at their existing insurance policies to determine whether they include business interruption coverage that might help to minimize the financial consequences of shutdowns.
March 19, 2020
Companies are increasingly looking to their existing insurance policies to find out whether those policies might help to minimize the financial losses that result from the virus. Many policies contain virus, pandemic or communicable disease exclusions, which would likely exclude coverage for losses related to COVID-19
August 15, 2019
SOUTHFIELD, MICH. – Jaffe Raitt Heuer & Weiss, P.C. CEO Jeffrey M. Weiss announced that 26 attorneys were recognized as 2020 Best Lawyers in America©, by the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. According to Best Lawyers©, the lists are compiled by conducting exhaustive peer-review surveys in which ten of thousands ...
November 5, 2018
SOUTHFIELD, MICH. – DBusiness magazine has selected 24 Jaffe attorneys in 21 practice areas as Top Lawyers for 2019. Jaffe CEO Jeffrey Weiss made the announcement. DBusiness’ annual Top Lawyer list is a comprehensive ranking of attorneys from across southeastern Michigan. The award is based on a peer-reviewed survey sent to attorneys from Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, ...
- Provide ongoing advice and management of overall risk management program for international, publicly-traded company included liability defense and counseling concerning structure of all lines of insurance.
- Represented insured in arbitration hearing concerning coverage for collapse of under construction historical building renovation in Flint, Michigan.
- Represented insured in denial of coverage for windstorm-related damage to regional retail furniture store.
- Represented contractor in coverage dispute related to limits and scope of covered repair to historically registered building at the University of Michigan.
- Represented national contractor in coverage dispute concerning denial by errors and omissions insurer to cover defense costs in complex underlying construction defect.
- Represented insurer of general contractor in contribution and indemnification action against multiple insurer of various sub-trades over duty to defend obligations for underlying construction defect claim.
- Represented multiple regional law firms in providing advice, consultation and litigation support concerning insurance coverage issues related to underlying legal malpractice actions.
- Represented insured in coverage dispute concerning denial by insurer for roof damage and partial collapse of large commercial building.
- Represented and litigated multiple claims concerning disability policies for professionals.
- Represented many companies with large, self-insured retentions by providing advice and litigation support.