Employment and labor law is a broad term that encompasses a large array of matters that can naturally arise in the relationship between an employer and an employee. While that relationship can be a positive one, it can also come with conflict or negativity for one or both sides, making the workplace a challenging environment. From the initial search for highly-skilled employees to the complexities of employment contracts, terminations, and pensions, the processes and requirements along the way can be lengthy and complicated.
At Jaffe, we understand the challenges that employers experience while maintaining and growing a business. We provide comprehensive counsel and support for all employment and labor law issues confronting employers by anticipating controversies and preparing for employment-related changes. We assist employers in structuring company policies, formulating agreements, and working to ensure compliance with laws and regulations. Our goal is to improve employers’ business operations through strategic employment and labor advice and to deter litigation whenever possible before it happens.
Should the need arise, we are also expert litigators and tough advocates for our clients. We know you have worked hard to build your business and we will be by your side in your effort to protect its success. We are highly skilled in defending employers against employment-related claims brought by current or former employees or by government agencies. These can include wrongful discharge, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) violations, Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) violations, breach of contract, employee classification issues, tortious interference, and whistleblower claims.
Our clients include businesses of all sizes, both private and public, in a wide variety of industries. Our accomplished attorneys have forged favorable compromises and successfully represented employers before state and federal courts and administrative agencies. They also share their comprehensive expertise by actively participating in state and national bar associations, serving on labor and employment committees, lecturing on labor and employment topics, and publishing articles on labor and employment issues.
- Human Resources counseling on daily employment issues, including hiring, discipline, managing performance issues, family and medical leave, requests for accommodations, violence, and the use and misuse of social media
- Employment agreements and employment-related agreements, including offer letters, arbitration agreements, severance agreements, confidentiality and trade secrets agreements, intellectual property agreements, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, and commission agreements
- Independent contractor arrangements and agreements
- Employment policies and employee handbooks
- Workplace investigations, including claims of harassment and discrimination, employee fraud, and defamation
- Strategies for work expansions, reorganizations, reductions in workforce and, if necessary, plant and office closings
- Wage and hour issues, including issues relating to bonuses and commissions