SOUTHFIELD, Mich., Aug. 27, 2020 – Emily M. Mayer, attorney at Jaffe Raitt Heuer & Weiss, P.C., has been recognized as one of the “Ones to Watch” in the areas of appellate practice, commercial litigation, and insurance law by Best Lawyers. Jaffe CEO Jeffrey M. Weiss made the announcement. Recognition by Best Lawyers is based ...
Appeals require a special blend of litigation skills. They demand the finest written advocacy—clear, concise writing is critical—and great oral advocacy. They also require a deep understanding of what will persuade the only audience that matters: appellate judges and justices. We know that audience intimately. We know what can work, and what will never work.
While most business law firms now claim to treat appeals as a specialized practice, we have been doing this for longer than any other Michigan firm. We have a 45-year record of consistent success in defending our clients’ hard-fought trial court victories and correcting injustices caused by a judicial error. Two of our lawyers are among the authors of Michigan’s leading treatise on appellate practice. This experience allows us to provide valuable consulting, negotiating and predictive services.
Jaffe attorneys are well known and respected by state and federal appellate judges. We have the experience and knowledge to advocate effectively not only for our long-term clients but also for new clients who need a fresh start.
- State and federal appeals
- Civil and criminal cases
- Pre-appeal planning
- Postjudgment relief
- Issue spotting and preservation
- Counseling and consulting
- Premium written advocacy
- Editorial assistance
- Critical motion drafting
Meet Our Team
News & Representative Matters
August 24, 2020
SOUTHFIELD, Mich., Aug. 24, 2020 – Best Lawyers, the oldest and most highly respected peer review guide to the legal profession worldwide, has named 27 attorneys at Jaffe Raitt Heuer & Weiss to the 2021 class of “Best Lawyers in America.” Jaffe CEO Jeffrey M. Weiss made the announcement. Recognition by Best Lawyers is based ...
November 14, 2019
SOUTHFIELD, MICH., November 14, 2019 – Jaffe Raitt Heuer & Weiss, P.C. CEO Jeffrey M. Weiss announced that 22 attorneys were recognized as 2020 Top Lawyers by DBusiness. The Top Lawyers list is compiled via a peer review survey, polling nearly 20,000 attorneys in Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Washtenaw and Livingston counties. Each attorney was asked ...
September 13, 2019
SOUTHFIELD, MICH. – Super Lawyers magazine has again recognized 34 Jaffe Raitt Heuer & Weiss, P.C. attorneys in 18 practice areas as Michigan Super Lawyers and nine attorneys in seven practice areas as Michigan Rising Stars. Jaffe CEO Jeffrey Weiss made the announcement. Super Lawyers selects attorneys from more than 70 practice areas using a ...
August 15, 2019
SOUTHFIELD, MICH. – Jaffe Raitt Heuer & Weiss, P.C. CEO Jeffrey M. Weiss announced that 26 attorneys were recognized as 2020 Best Lawyers in America©, by the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession. According to Best Lawyers©, the lists are compiled by conducting exhaustive peer-review surveys in which ten of thousands ...
- Frank v Linkner, 500 Mich 133 (2017) (reversing Court of Appeals and clarifying the law on when causes of action for minority oppression accrue for LLCs and closely held corporations)
- KeyBank Nat Ass’n v Lake Villa Oxford Assocs, LLC, 2016 WL 4954473 (Mich App 2016), lv den 500 Mich 1058, cert den sub nom Lake Villa Oxford Assocs, LLP v Homestead Properties, LP, 138 S. Ct. 1444, 200 L. Ed. 2d 719 (2018) (jury verdict overturned and summary disposition for our client)
- Gwyn R Hartman Revocable Living Trust v Southern Mich Bancorp, Inc, 780 F3d 724 (6th Cir 2015) (district court reversed for dismissing client’s action against the corporation that failed to disclose nature of client’s proposed bylaw amendment before shareholder meeting)
- Pransky v Falcon Group, Inc, 311 Mich App 164 (2015) (client’s consulting agreement valid because the services performed did not require it to be registered as broker-dealers under Michigan’s Uniform Securities Act)
- Wayne County Employees Retirement System v Wayne Charter County, 497 Mich 36 (2014) (recovered over $40 million for beneficiaries of county retirement system)
- Whitesell International Corp v Whitaker (On Reconsideration), 2011 WL 165405 (Mich App 2011) (reversal of adverse $9 million judgment)