January 15, 2020
Nicole Meisner is an attorney in our Electronic Payments practice group.
Nicole counsels a wide range of companies in the payments and financial services industries, including acquiring banks, payment processors, independent sales organizations (ISOs), payment facilitators, marketplaces, mobile payment providers, financial technology (FinTech) companies, money transmitters, prepaid access providers, and digital currency companies. Nicole advises businesses on contractual and compliance matters involving the impacts of dynamic state and federal regulations and industry rules, the structure of the flow-of-funds, and the creation of strategic business relationships to mitigate legal risks.
Specifically, Nicole drafts and negotiates a variety of payment-focused agreements such as:
- payment facilitator agreements;
- agency, sponsorship, and licensing agreements;
- independent sales organizations (ISO) agreements;
- merchant and sub-merchant agreements;
- BIN sponsorship agreements; and
- agent bank and association contracts.
Nicole helps payment companies identify and navigate risks of money transmission laws and regulations. She has extensive experience advising clients on various exemptions to money transmitter registration recognized by the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) as well as exemptions to licensure, such as the agent-of-the-payee exemption, recognized by several states.
Education & Admissions
Education & Admissions
- Nova Southeastern University
J.D., summa cum laude
- University of Tennessee, Martin
MBA, summa cum laude
- Florida Atlantic University
Non-Legal Professional Certifications
- Certified Financial Crime Specialist (CFCS), Charter Class
- Member of the committee that constructed the CFCS Certification exam (2012)
- State Bar of Michigan
- The Florida Bar
- South Florida Chapter, Association of Certified Financial Crime Specialists, Co-Chair, 2014
- Certification and Training Task Force, Association of Certified Financial Crime Specialists, 2015– present
- Money Services Business Association, FinTech & Banking Committees
- Money Services Business Association
- Association of Certified Financial Criminal Specialists
January 2, 2020
February 20, 2019
- The Bahamas Association of Compliance Officers, 12th Annual Money Laundering Reporting Officers Day 2013, Guest Speaker on Financial Crime Trends and Tactics, Sept. 18, 2013, Nassau, Bahamas.
- Association of Certified Financial Crime Specialists-Financial Crime 360° Training Seminar, Guest Speaker on Secondary Liability Fraud Actions, Jan. 25, 2013, NY, New York