August 25, 2021
Michael Jacobson is an attorney in our Litigation & Dispute Resolution practice group. He centers his practice in the areas of complex litigation, real estate litigation, class action litigation, partnership, and shareholder disputes, construction disputes, and employment disputes. He represents a variety of sophisticated clients, including private equity funds and their portfolio companies, publicly-traded companies, and national, regional, and local real estate companies. Michael also advises and counsels affordable housing clients in acquisitions and financing.
Michael advises his clients on the litigation aspects of business purchase and sale agreements, restrictive covenants in employment agreements, and real estate purchase and sale agreements. His litigation practice includes all elements of initial pleading and case management, discovery, substantive motions, trial and appeals.
Michael is admitted to practice in several states and is a member of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) where he is frequently invited to speak on litigation, construction law, and dispute resolution.
Education & Admissions
Education & Admissions
- Detroit College of Law
Member of the Detroit College Law Review
- University of Colorado
Bachelor of Science
- U. S. Federal Courts
- Successfully resolved a partnership dispute resulting in a reduction of exposure of over 100M
- Represented plaintiff in an oppression case and settled for 17.5M lump sum after an initial offer of 3M over 10 years
- Represented defendants in a oppression case where other side was seeking dissolution of a profit last enterprise and settled for 34M
- Represented a defendant in class action Uner’s the TCPA seeking more than 25M, settled for low 5 figures after motions to dismiss were filed
- Represented a plaintiff in a 3.5M settlement of an oppression fraud claim in the Cannibas space
- Successfully defended a private equity portfolio company against a $27 million dollar claim on representations and warranty claims.
- Successfully defended insurer against a representations and warranty claim on a $2.3 billion dollar investment.
- Successfully won a multi-million dollar settlement against a public company involving breach of fiduciary duties.
- Successfully represented a contractor against a $72 million dollar claim brought by a municipality.
- Obtained a $4 million dollar settlement for a buyer of an e-commerce digital company.
- Successfully litigated a specific performance claim on a $5.2 million dollar real estate purchase.
- Successfully completed a business divorce of a multi-million dollar surveying company.
- Successfully defended an audit seeking multi-millions in reimbursement for contractor client.
- Detroit Regional Chamber
- Care House Gala Co-Chair 2018 and 2019
- State Bar of Michigan
- The Florida State Bar
- Illinois State Bar
- Oakland County Bar Association
- “Defeating Class Certification In A Residential Mold Case,” Mealey’s Litigation Report, Vol. 3, #3 (2003)
- “Private Equity in the Cannabis Space; Advantages and Pitfalls”, ICLE’s 4th Annual Marijuana Law Conference October 2019
- “Listen Now! Real Estate of Mind,” Farbman Group’s February 2017 podcast