Jo Balakrishnan is an attorney and co-chair of our Emerging & Growth Business practice group, and also works in our Mergers & Acquisitions and Intellectual Property practice groups. Jo advises and counsels entrepreneurs and businesses of diverse industries from inception through all stages of their life cycle, including business formation, capital raising, intellectual property (IP) protection, financing, employee incentive plans, contract negotiation, strategic transactions, and the many related legal issues that can arise at any stage. She has extensive experience representing both technology companies and investors in negotiating investment terms and closing venture capital, seed capital and convertible debt transactions.
Jo has represented sellers and buyers in a variety of negotiated mergers, acquisitions, and strategic transactions including advising and negotiating term sheets and deal documents. Beyond mere advice for today, Jo’s approach includes understanding and addressing her client’s current needs while anticipating and planning for challenges that could arise in the future. Jo is fluent in Tamil and Hindi and conversant in French.
Education & Admissions
Education & Admissions
- Columbia Law School
LL.M., (focus on corporate and securities law)
Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
Recipient of the J.N. Tata Endowment Scholarship
- National Law School of India
B.A., LL.B. with Honors
- Delhi, India
- State Bar of Michigan, Business Law and International Law Sections
- American Bar Association
- “What Do You Mean I Can’t Renew?”, The Franchise Lawyer, Vol. 16, NO. 3 (Summer 2013), American Bar Association (co-author).
- “Technology Corner: The Gap Trap and Twisted Pretzels (ensuring the Continuity of IP License Rights in the Context of Mergers and Acquisitions)”, The Michigan Business Law Journal, Vol. 33, Issue 2 (Summer 2013), State Bar of Michigan (co-author).
- “Sarbanes-Oxley and Foreign Issuers: New Developments”, Asialaw, Euromoney Publications (October 2007)
- Moderator and Panelist, Angel Financing, Michigan Angel Summit (November 2019).
- Facilitator, “Software and Services”, Midwest Growth Capital Symposium (May 2019).
- “Venture Capital Financing – Understanding and Negotiating the Deal Terms; presentation to the Entrepreneurship class at Mike Ilitch School of Business, Wayne State University (June 2017).
- “Legal Dynamics of Automotive Purchase and Sale Contracts”, presentation to the Executive Committee of the Automotive Component Manufacturers’ Association of India (June 2008).
- Panelist, “India: A Developing Market for U. S. Companies”, seminar organized by the U.S. Commerce Department and the Michigan District Export Council, Automation Alley, Troy, Michigan (May 23, 2007).
- “Using Industrial Designs for Business Success in the Handicraft Industries: Case Studies”, National Seminar on Importance of IP for Handicrafts (June 2005), World Intellectual Property Organization.