February 14, 2020
Jon Sriro is a co-chair of our Privacy & Data Security practice group and is a member of our Litigation & Dispute Resolution and Intellectual Property & Information Technology practice groups. He is a Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US) with the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Jon’s work focuses on the representation of companies in technology and transportation logistics transactions, as well as in many other industry sectors. He has extensive experience counseling clients on a wide range of privacy, cybersecurity, and information management issues in the context of vendor/vendee agreements, mergers and acquisitions, compliance, business strategy, technology transactions, and litigation, incident response preparation, insurance, data breach/incident, and regulatory compliance issues. Jon’s representation in this area includes software/cloud service providers, banks, manufacturers, restaurants, real estate, and housing companies, and marketing firms.
A significant part of Jon’s practice includes advising clients in cloud computing and software as a service (SaaS) transactions. His extensive experience in this area includes counseling vendors and vendees in SaaS, PaaS and laaS transactions involving unique issues related to interstate and cross-border regulatory and statutory compliance, General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), and the Data Protection Act 2018. Jon also advises clients on navigating the various jurisdictional and compliance requirements concerning the use of data and marketing, as well as all transactions involving software development and client-side software and hardware solutions.
Education & Admissions
Education & Admissions
- Washington University School of Law in St. Louis
- James Madison College at Michigan State University
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/U.S. Private Sector
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Counseled three start-up companies through IPO
- Representation of major companies, including Groupon (f/k/a The Point), Echo Global Logistics, InnerWorkings, BenchPrep, Sprout Social, Tempus, Uptake, Crestmark Bank, Ambassador, Diversified Chemical Technologies, Road to Status, Belly, United Road, Humantech, Detroit Labs, Lightbank, and Pella Windows and Doors
- State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan, IT Law Section Privacy Law Committee
- State Bar of Michigan, Arts, Communications, Entertainment & Sports Section
December 4, 2019
October 16, 2017
June 22, 2017
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Confidentiality Issues. Today’s General Counsel, Summer 2018
- The Adoption of Blocchains and Cryptocurrencies by Charities. The Michigan Business Law Journal, Vol. 38, Issue 2 (2018)
- New Ruling by U. S. Supreme Court on Standing to Pursue Litigation – Alleging a “Mere Statutory Violation” Is Not Sufficient to Confer Article III Standing for a Federal Cause of Action. The Michigan Business Law Journal, Vol. 36, Issue 2 (2016)
- Data Privacy in Sports Marketing, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Seminar Panel Member, June 21, 2017