December 31, 2020
Deborah Rubin is an attorney in our Litigation & Dispute Resolution and Insolvency & Reorganization practice groups. She concentrates her practice in all areas of bankruptcy law, including representation of creditors’ committees and corporate debtors in bankruptcy proceedings and commercial litigation. She also has significant experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in avoidance litigation, fraud, discharge proceedings, relief from the automatic stay, preferences, collection proceedings, and other insolvency actions. Deborah represents businesses with workouts and assignments for the benefit of creditors and provides strategic counsel and creative solutions in all types of bankruptcy and insolvency matters. Deborah has experience with all phases of litigation from inception through resolution, handling matters in state and federal court at the trial and appellate levels.
Education & Admissions
Education & Admissions
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
Member of the Law Review
Recognized for her outstanding performance in legal writing and analysis
- Oakland University
B.A. in Political Science
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Commercial Law League of America, Chair of the Bankruptcy Section
- Commercial Law League of America, Chair-Elect of the Bankruptcy Section (June 9, 2018—2020)
- Commercial Law League of America, Co-Chair of the Legislative Committee (September 2018—present)
- Commercial Law League of America, Secretary (2015—2018)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
- State Bar of Michigan, Debtors and Creditors’ Rights Section
October 23, 2020
- “Bankruptcy Chapter 11” and “Bankruptcy Chapter 13” Counsel for the Counselor: Practice Tips Handbook, State Bar of Michigan Young Lawyers Section, September 2001.
- “Basic Bankruptcy From F to C (Filing to Confirmation); A practical Chapter 11 Overview for the Non-Bankruptcy Practitioner.” Commercial Law League of America Annual Conference (2019)
- Speaker at the 2nd Joint Conference of CLLA and IACC, 2017 Mid-Year Conference, Seattle, Washington, July 16, 2017. “When a Bankruptcy Case is Filed: How an Agency Can Turn Lemons Into Lemonade”
- Speaker at CLLA 2016 Fall Conference, New York, November 10, 2016—”Basic Bankruptcy Form F To C (Filing To Confirmation) A Practical Chapter 11 Overview For The Non-Bankruptcy Practitioner”
- Speaker at CLLA 2015 National Convention, Las Vegas, Nevada, April 29, 2015—”Hidden Liens: What You Don’t Know May Hurt You”
- Speaker at CLLA Eastern Region Conference NY, New York, November 6, 2014—”Student Loan Debt – Legal and Collection Issues”.
- Speaker at CLLA National Conference, Chicago, Illinois, 2013, “Post-Confirmation Jurisdiction – Was the Suit you are Defending Properly Preserved”
- “Bankruptcy Chapter 11 and Chapter 13 Counsel for the Counselor: Practical Tips Handbook”, State Bar of Michigan Young Lawyers Section, September 2001.