April 7, 2022
Jaffe Raitt Heuer & Weiss Announces Winners of the Fourth Annual Jaffe Transactional Law Invitational
SOUTHFIELD, Mich., April 7, 2022 – Now in its fourth year, the Jaffe Transactional Law Invitational, organized by Wayne Law, is an innovative draft-exchange and live-round competition featuring students from law schools across the country. The multi-school event is a spin-off of the in-school Jaffe Transaction Law Competition at Wayne State University Law School, which was co-founded by Jaffe attorney and Wayne Law graduate Justin Hanna in 2014 under the tutelage and supervision of Professor Eric Zacks.
This year’s competition welcomed over 30 students from 15 law schools throughout the country that took part in the drafting, negotiation and advocacy processes, with two- or three-member teams representing a buyer or seller involved in a complex merger transaction. Students worked on drafting and revising for several weeks, culminating in live and Zoom-based competitions which brought the teams together for two rounds of negotiations in front of a panel of judges. The live competition was held at Jaffe’s office in Southfield.
The competition serves as a platform for students to develop transactional skills in a practical environment and to receive real-time feedback from practicing M&A professionals, whose feedback is routinely cited by the participants as one of the most valuable aspects of the program.
The following law students have been recognized as winners in the 2022 Jaffe Transactional Law Invitational:
- Buyer’s Counsel — 1st Place: Charleston School of Law
- Buyer’s Counsel —2nd Place: University of San Diego School of Law and Wayne State University Law School Zoom Team (tie)
- Seller’s Counsel — 1st Place: University of Detroit Mercy School of Law and University of Tennessee (tie)
- Buyer’s Counsel — 1st Place: Michigan State University College of Law
- Buyer’s Counsel —2nd Place: University of Kansas Law School
- Seller’s Counsel — 1st Place: University of Tennessee College of Law
- Seller’s Counsel — 2nd Place: Emory University School of Law and University of Colorado (tie)
- Buyer’s Counsel — 1st Place: University of San Diego School of Law
- Buyer’s Counsel —2nd Place: Wayne State University Law School Zoom Team
- Seller’s Counsel — 1st Place: University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
- Seller’s Counsel — 2nd Place: SMU Dedman School of Law