Peter Sugar is a partner in the Southfield and Ann Arbor offices of Jaffe Raitt Heuer & Weiss. He is a member of the Firm's Securities Regulation, Acquisitions and Divestitures,Emerging Business, and Corporate Practice Groups, specializing in securities regulation, corporate finance, and mergers and acquisitions.
Peter represents clients in both private and public securities offerings, exchange offers, refinancings, private debt, mez and equity placements, as well as public companies in all aspects of 1933 Act, 1934 Act and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance matters. He represents directors of public corporations individually and in their capacities as members of Audit Committees, Disclosure Committees and other Special Committees. He has an active practice in the acquisition and disposition of businesses and has led M & A teams in multiple sales of venture backed businesses that have become finalists and winners of Crain's Business Deal of the Year awards. Peter is also involved in all aspects of the formation, financing and governance of businesses, including equity, debt and hybrid capitalization transactions. Peter has assisted several businesses in financing their start-up all the way through IPO.
He earned his Bachelor's degree from Wayne State University and is a cum laude graduate from Wayne State University Law School, where he served as articles and managing editor of the Wayne Law Review.
- U.S. Courts
- Best Lawyers Detroit Securities/Capital Markets Law "Lawyer of the Year" for 2014, 2016 & 2017
- Richard J. Barber Wayne Law Review Alumni Achievement Award
- Best Lawyers in America
- Michigan Super Lawyer
- Corporate Counsel Super Lawyer
- Chambers USA Best Lawyer
- Donald H. Gordon Award for Excellence in Teaching
- dbusiness Top Lawyer
- Advisory Board - Program for Entrepreneurship and Business Law, Wayne State University Law School
- State Bar of Michigan Business Law Section—Member
- American Bar Association—Member
- Moderator: Navigating the Brave New World of Equity Capital Formation: "Hot Issues" Worldwide IPO markets; Crowdfunding; Microlending; "Simplified" Public Offerings, TAGLaw International Conference, 2014
- Securities "Transactions" Hot Topics, 2014 Midwest Securities Law Institute