Peter M. Alter
Peter M. Alter is a partner in the Southfield office of Jaffe Raitt Heuer & Weiss. He is a member of the Firm's Litigation and Emerging Growth Business Practice Groups, specializing in complex commercial litigation matters, including banking, restructuring, real estate, partnership, insurance, minority oppression, shareholder and royalty disputes, and various types of alternate dispute resolution. He has been selected by courts (or by counsel) to serve as a facilitator, mediator or arbitrator in more than 70 cases.
Peter's career successes cover a spectrum of challenging business litigation matters, including restructuring, royalty disputes, fraud and contract breaches where the stakes have been high.
Over the past 6 years, Peter has been recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America, by dBusiness and by Super Lawyers magazine, including the prestigious distinction of being selected as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in Michigan for 2009 and 2012.
He is a magna cum laude graduate of Brandeis University, where he received the Endowed Prize in Politics, and earned his Juris Doctor degree from Columbia University Law School.
Peter was President of The Oakland County Bar Association from July 2011 - June 2012. He also was President of the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit from 2004-2007.
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Best Lawyers in America, 2007-2017 and various other editions
- Best Lawyers in America, Top 100 Lawyers in Michigan, 2009, 2012
- Michigan Super Lawyer, 2007 - 2016
- dBusiness Top Lawyer, 2010-2016
- Oakland County Bar Association's Frances R. Avadenka Memorial Award, 2008
- Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit's Fred M. Butzel Award for Outstanding Service, 2011
- State of Israel Bonds, Eleanor Roosevelt Humanities Award, 2007
- Oakland County Bar Association—President (2011-2012), President-elect (2010-2011), Vice President (2009-2010); and Board of Directors (2002-2012)
- American Inns of Court, Oakland County Chapter—Master/Master Emeritus and Executive Committee (2002-Present)
- Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit—Chairman of Executive Committee (2007-2010); President (2004-2007); and Vice President (1996-2001; 2002-2004)
- Anti-Defamation League (Michigan) - President
- Sinai Hospital of Detroit Board of Trustees and Strategic Planning Committee—Former Member
- National Anti-Defamation League Executive Committee and National Board of Commissioners (1982-Present)
- United Jewish Communities Board of Trustees—Member (2004-2007)