Mark L. Kowalsky
Mark L. Kowalsky is a member of the Firm's Litigation, Securities and Privacy and Datasecurity Practice Groups, specializing in general civil litigation with concentrations in securities law, commercial disputes and franchise litigation. He is routinely involved in handling disputes that relate to securities investments, and brokerage industry employment. In general litigation matters he assists clients in disputes regarding contracts, financing, non-competition agreements, trade secrets, employment, shareholders, partnerships and dissolutions. He also represents clients in securities enforcement and regulatory matters.
Mr. Kowalsky regularly provides advice and representation to regional and national securities firms, public and privately held corporations, and individuals. He has extensive experience in federal and state courts, arbitration, mediation and in securities law regulatory matters that often involve requests for immediate injunctive relief and the use of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR), including arbitration and mediation.
A frequent speaker and published author, Mr. Kowalsky has accepted appointments as an arbitrator for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), American Arbitration Association (AAA) and other fora. He also has served as counsel to a court appointed receiver and has sat as a case evaluator for the Oakland County Circuit Court and District Court. Mark is currently co-chair of the Firm's Litigation Practice Group.
The Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory has awarded him its highest legal ability and ethical standards rating (AV - very high to preeminent).
Mark earned his Bachelor's degree with high distinction and highest honors from the University of Michigan and is a graduate of the University of Michigan Law School.
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- Brokerage Firm Departures - Reasons to Expect 2016 to be a Record Year
- "Preventing Security Breaches: Best Practices Under Michigan's New Notification Law," Michigan Computer Lawyer, Vol. 24, No. 2 (2007)
- "Preventing Security Breaches: Best Practices Under Michigan's New Notification Law," LACHES, a publication of the Oakland County Bar Association (2007)
- "The Need for Local Counsel in the Federal Court," LACHES, a publication of the Oakland County Bar Association (2000)
- "Federal Courts on the Information Superhighway," LACHES, a publication of the Oakland County Bar Association (1996)
- "Securities, Fraud and RICO Litigation Seminar, Federal or State Court v. Arbitration," Detroit Bar Association
- Michigan Super Lawyer, 2006-2016
- Corporate Counsel Super Lawyer, 2008-2010
- dbusiness Top Lawyer, 2012-2016
- State Bar of Michigan—Member
- American Bar Association—Member
- Oakland County Bar Association—Member
- Oakland County Bar Association Chair of the Federal Courts Committee—Former Chair
- Compliance and Legal Division of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association—Member
- Invited Speaker 2009-2012 Midwest Securities Law Institute
- AMS Continuing Legal Education Advanced Litigation Skills for Paralegals
- Greater West Bloomfield Cable Communications Commission—Current Member and Former Chair
- Jewish Home and Aging Services/Jewish Senior Life—Current Board Member and Past President