Derek D. McLeod
Derek D. McLeod is a partner in the Southfield office of Jaffe Raitt Heuer & Weiss. A member of the Firm's Litigation, Franchising, and Securities Litigation Practice Groups, Derek handles a wide array of commercial, franchise, employment, and securities litigation matters, including contract claims, business torts, and member/shareholder disputes. As a result, he practices regularly before state and federal trial courts, appeals courts, and in private arbitration proceedings. Derek also frequently advises clients and co-counsel on federal jurisdictional and procedural issues.
Prior to joining Jaffe, Derek practiced with two different Metro Detroit law firms and served as a law clerk to the Honorable Victoria A. Roberts of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Derek is a former Chairperson of the Antitrust, Franchising and Trade Regulation Section of the State Bar of Michigan. He also is active in the Franchise Practitioners Group, an assembly of franchise and franchise-related lawyers.
Derek is a cum laude and Phi Kappa Phi graduate of The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina. He earned his Juris Doctor from Northeastern University School of Law in Boston.
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court, Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- "Preemption and the Michigan Franchise Investment Law," Michigan Bar Journal, Vol. 93, No. 12 (December 2014) (co-author)
- "Who Can Sue and Be Sued Under the Michigan Franchise Investment Law?," Attorney at Law Magazine, Vol. 2 No. 6 (2013) (co-author)
- "A Call For Clarity: Forum-Selection Provisions and Michigan's Summary Disposition Rule," The Litigation Newsletter (Fall 2010) (co-author)
- "Campbell v DHS: The Michigan Court of Appeals Resolves Garg's Open Question And The Result Is 'Mmm Mmm Good' For Plaintiffs," Labor and Employment Lawnotes, Vol. 19, No. 4 (Winter 2010) (co-author)
- "Responding to Security Breaches: Best Practices Under Michigan's New Notification Law," Michigan Computer Lawyer, Vol. 24, No. 2 (June 2007); abridged version published in Laches, No 498 (July 2007) (co-author)
- "Prosecuting Business Defamation Claims: Where the Common Law and the Defamation Statute Intersect," 27 Michigan Business Law Journal 29 (Spring 2007) (co-author)
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly, Up & Coming Lawyer, 2008
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- James K. Coleman Award for Excellence in Constitutional Law, 2000
- State Bar of Michigan
- The Florida Bar
- American Bar Association
- ABA Forum on Franchising
- Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter
- Oakland County Bar Association
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi (Lifetime Member)